Thursday, December 18, 2008

Infrared



I love infrared! To those who may not be familiar with it, it is a form of film sensitive to both visible and infrared light that produces images like black and white, but with a far more ghostly or surreal appearance. They are often used with colored filters to block out different wavelengths of visible light to produce different effects.

Infrared can be simulated in Photoshop or PSP Photo, which is much easier and less expensive than messing around with infrared film, which has little exposure latitude.

I like infrared for some of my images to enhance a sense of isolation, aloneness, and separateness from normal reality. Whether it works or not, I leave that to others to decide.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi and thank you for your ideas! That is a fantastic one, the (6 generations - wow) DVD slideshow! I, however, have not yet learned anything about videoing. But I DO get the message. And, that's what I'm going to do, focus on getting gifts for all the kids. Then, if there's still time and any money leftover, I'll figure out how to have at least a little something for everyone else.

Now these photos...they're so beautiful! I absolutely love fog and the whole ethereal-ness about it. I love the way it brings with it this wonderful hush and I find it very peaceful.

A happy holiday to you and yours!
Serena Pia