Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tornadic December Storms in McKinney




Tornado sirens went off last night about 11 pm for a severe thunderstorm that formed southwest of McKinney and was moving to the northeast at about 40mph. That part of the storm passed just to my southeast, which is the view from my balcony in the bottom
photo, just after the sirens went off and the National Weather Service issued
the Tornado Warning.

After I saw the storm was moving off to the northeast I hopped in the car (with my NOAA alert radio) and drove north then east, hoping to catch some lightning photographs. About 10 miles north and east I got the top two photos. You are looking south and eastward.
McKinney would be to the right of the photos.

WARNING NOTE: The lightning photos were taken from the back side of the storm, with the storm moving away from me, and approximately 30 miles away. Chasing possible tornadic storms (especially at night) without knowledge of storm behavior and movement is stupid and can get you killed. Standing in open fields taking lightning photographs of near storms is equally stupid, and is even more likely to get you killed! Remember, if you can hear thunder, you are close enough to be struck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL! I love lightning, so lucky you got great shots of it. You are awesome.

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.